This week and next week I am starting a third and fourth client development coaching program with a group of eager law firm partners in a large national firm. A lawyer I coached several years ago offered advice to the next coaching group in her firm and it is still good advice. If you can put together a group of lawyers who share your interest in developing your client development skills, her ideas will work for you also.
- Consider your participation in the program a gift/an extra benefit the firm is offering that you should squeeze the most out of that you can”;
- Open up, don’t be ashamed of where you are or what you think your limitations are, let Cordell get to know you;
- Participate in all parts of the program, even when you don’t really understand how they could benefit you;
- Do something every day, even if it’s small, that helps you reach the goals you set;
- Don’t get discouraged, seeds take time to grow;
- Share what you learn with others in the firm, particularly newer lawyers;
- Have someone keep you accountable (either Cordell or someone else in the group); and
- Have fun. The relationships you build in the program with other lawyers in your firm will be invaluable as you move forward in your career. They will raise the level of your personal fulfillment and of your professional commitment. They will be lifelong friends.
If you find a group of lawyers in your firm or city and work on client development together, I know from experience you will be more focused, more accountable and likely you will have more fun practicing law. I look forward to hearing from you if you do it.