I read a short article in the Harvard Business Review: What Makes an Effective Executive. It occurred to me that it also is what makes an effective lawyer and business developer. Here is the list.
- They listen first and speak last
- They ask: “What needs to be done?”
- They develop action plans
- They take responsibility for decisions
- They are focused on opportunities and not problems
- They say “we” way more than they say “I”
If you get a chance, read the short article to find out how each point lends itself to becoming an effective executive. Then think about how you might apply those points to your law practice.