I will not have coached most of you reading this blog post.
Likely, most of you reading this will never have a coach. If you want to coach yourself and stay motivated, here is a list of questions I typically asked lawyers I coached during our individual coaching sessions.
- What have you done on your 90-day action plan?
- Do you need any help with any of the action items?
- What challenges have you encountered?
- Have you had any successes, breakthroughs? (not necessary obtaining a new client)
- Do you have anything coming up that you want to brainstorm about?
- What did you hope to accomplish that you didn’t get done?
- What else would you like to get out of this coaching session?
- Can you give examples of one or two things you have been doing to start to create daily BD habits? (expanding client conversations; identifying how you can make client’s job easier; reading biz intell for a particular client). Re relationship building:
- What are you working on right now and how well do you know the people at the client organization?
- Is there anything you can do in the context of the work to advance the relationship with client?
- Which clients do you have the best rapport?
- What steps might you take to deepen the relationship?