I recently read an article with a discussion of a book with a lengthy title: Business Lunchatations: How an Everyday Guy Became One of America’s Most Powerful CEOs…and How You Can Too!
His ideas are designed for CEOs but they also apply to lawyers. The author of the book lists the following:
- Look the part-Dress well every day
- Never stop networking-He says: “Not a networker? Get over it. It’s other people who can make our success.”
- Show loyalty-Through the good times and the not so good times.
- Be a friend-Help people with no expectation of anything in return. People are attracted to those who have their best interest at heart.
- Learn to listen-many people tune out as soon as they think they know the gist if what the speaker is saying.
- Project a winning image-Be a winner, believe in yourself.
- Stay in touch-there is no substitute for face time with valued clients. The author admits he has lost valued clients by letting too much time pass between visits.