I keep reading about associates and young partners being laid off from firms during our down economy. To have security, lawyers need to secure, retain and expand relationships with clients. Since this does not happen overnight, associates should begin the process and build a long term strategy.
I have had the opportunity to coach associates in several firms over the last several years. I will be hosting a webinar for associates on March 11 at 12:00 noon Central Time, during which I will offer my ideas and then moderate a panel of associates I have coached. The panel will consist of Jason Cornell, John Gotaskie and Josh Klein of Fox Rothschild, LLP; Emily Bayton and Lizzette Zubey of Lewis and Roca, LLP; Travis Crabtree of Looper Reed & McGraw; and Shannon Conway and Karen Thiel of Patton Boggs, LLP. Our topics will include:
- How to make time for client development
- How to prepare a plan with goals
- Activities to do now that will pay off later
- Community/Bar activiities
- Patience, persistence and dealing with setbacks
- Blogging and Podcasts
- Social Media (Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter)
- Staying in touch with classmates, Networking
- What you learned about yourself and what you are doing differently after our coaching
As space is limited, the best way to participate is join the webcast as a group with a projector and speaker phone set up in your conference room. If any of your associates have a question they would like to have answered, please ask them to send me an email with the question. If you are interested in your associates participating, contact Joyce to register.