Some of the lawyers I coach tell me they are challenged to figure out what they really want and what is most important to them. I understand the problem. It is not easy to look inside and discover what is really important to you.
Here are some questions that might get you started:
- Why did you want to become a lawyer?
- What kind of work do you really enjoy?
- What do you feel are your unique talents?
- What do you want to achieve in the next 10 years?
- Who are lawyers you really admire, and why?
- How would you describe your ideal client?
- What do you believe is your life purpose?
- What is your career purpose?
- When are you most happy?
If you were retiring:
- What would you want your colleagues and other lawyers to say about you?
- What would you want your clients to say about you?
- What would you want your family to say about you?