Every year there are various lists of “Super Lawyers.” Here is the link to the TOP 50: 2014 WOMEN TEXAS SUPER LAWYERS – TOP LIST.
In my career I have been blessed to work with some really outstanding lawyers. So, I have ideas you can implement to keep getting better and take it to the next level.
Here is a list of what outstanding lawyers do to keep getting better:
- They are never content with their achievements and are always striving to get better.
- They focus on what they do not know and are willing to reinvent themselves if the situation requires it.
- They regularly do things that others do not enjoy doing.
- They are focused on the long term.
- They persist until they succeed.
- They are intrinsically motivated and do not get caught up in comparing themselves to others.
- They strive to become comfortable outside their comfort zone.
- They are comfortable under pressure.
- They have set and achieved hundreds of goals and have confidence they will achieve more.
- They focus on the process that produce the end results rather than the end results themselves.
- They know their health is essential to their success and make time to stay healthy.
- They are focused on their priorities (especially family) and do the most important things each and every day without getting distracted.
- They genuinely enjoy their clients and their work.
- They anticipate their clients’ and potential clients’ legal problems, create a solution and call them.
- They work at becoming both an outstanding lawyer and trusted advisor.
- They think optimistically and plan their non-billable time purposely.
- They have healthy paranoia, which causes them to focus more intently on adding value for their clients.
- They view everyone they meet as a potential client.
- They are always playing to win.
- They share credit and build their team as a result.
- They look for other work the firm can do that their clients will value.
- They help their associates succeed in their own right and are constantly rebuilding their team.
- They are willing to fail and they rebound from disappointments or setbacks.
- They are on the cutting edge of change, including technology changes.
- They are always seeking new ideas and feedback from coaches and mentors.
If you have more time and want to better understand the strengths of top women lawyers, take a look at Patricia Snyder‘s University of Pennsylvania article: Super Women Lawyers: A Study of Character Strengths.