It’s that time of year again. Law firm graduates will start their first year in law firms throughout the US. Over the years, I have given many presentations to first year lawyers during their orientation.
If you are a brand new lawyer, this one is for you. If you are a lawyer in a firm with first year lawyers, please share this with them.
In law school, students are taught to “think like a lawyer.” They are not taught:
- To think like a client
- How to practice law
- Law as a business
- How to attract clients
- What clients want
- How to retain and expand relationships with clients
- How to ask clients good questions
- How to work with senior lawyers and staff
- How to prepare legal documents
- How to present their position
You may know that last October I gave a presentation to young lawyers in Boston. Check out the presentation slides: Brand Yourself: Starting Right for Career Success.