Knowing that many first-year lawyers will be starting with their law firms in September, I want to share questions I suggest associates ask the more senior lawyers who give them assignments.
At the Beginning of a Project:
- When would you like me to complete this project?
- Describe what you have been told to do and then ask: Have I missed anything?
- How many hours are you expecting me to take on the project?
- Are there any materials I should review?
- Would it be helpful if I gave you my initial findings/conclusions?
At the end of the project:
- Have I covered all the areas you wanted?
- Is there anything more I can do to help you with this?
- Can you give me some feedback on my work?
- Are there any areas where you think I could improve?
- Can I help you with any other projects now?