Next Tuesday many first year associates started their legal careers in law firms across the US and Canada. For many years I was asked to speak during their orientation.
Next month on October 23, I will be the Keynote speaker at a Boston Bar Association event called Brand Yourself (Click to take a look at the brochure.)
One thing I will cover in a handout is what their law firm expects of them.
- Ethics and integrity
- Intelligence and critical analysis
- Hard working
- Desire to learn
- High energy
- People skills
- Ask questions when unsure about an assignment
- Listening skills
- Desire to be a lawyer
- Dress appropriately and professionally
- Participation in firm events and activities
- Do something to become involved in your community
Are you a first year lawyer, or will you have them in your firm? If so take a look at my Practical Lawyer article: Forty Important Things I Wish Someone Had Told Me When I Was a First-Year Lawyer.